If there are any useful resources we have missed off this list please let us know and we can add them in. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Starting a Community Project or Residents Group
Ideas and inspiration for Community Projects
Funding the Left
- Beautiful Trouble’s ‘Toolbox for Revolution’: Contains listing of tactics, principles, theories, case studies and practitioners for inspiring creative direct action.
- This Changes Everything’s ‘Beautiful Solutions’: Contains values, stories, solutions and theories to tackle the climate crisis.
- Beautiful Rising: A database of stories, tactics, principles, theories and methods for campaigning.
- Friends of the Earth Campaigning Resources: Resources and information for campaigning on environmental issues.
- NEON Resources: Training modules looking at Systems and Power, Leadership, Campaigns, Organisations, and Movements.
For Researching & Lobbying your City
Facilitating Workshops and Meetings
- Training for Change: Training tools used in popular/direct education. Specifically for Diversity and Anti Oppression, Team Building, Organising and Strategy, Meeting Facilitation, Nonviolent Action and Intervention.
- The Art of Hosting: Facilitating conversations that harness collective wisdom of a group.
- 350.org Trainings: A bank of tools for running trainings, workshops, meetings, organising, and strategizing.
- Seeds for Change have excellent guides on Consensus Decision Making, Facilitation, for Group Work, Co-ops and Running Workshops.
Access & Inclusion
Follow link to the Leeds for Change Press Office Contacts spreadsheet for regional & national; TV, radio and print contacts to ring or send your press releases to.
Mediation, Accountability & Conflict Resolution
Online Organising and Project Management
- Trello, Basecamp, Asana and Slack: free project management tools for teams, with boards, projects and lists to organise team tasks collaboratively
- Loomio: a free online tool for collaborative decision making, built and run by a workers co-op.
Online Tools for Sanctuary & Wellbeing
- Help in Leeds: an interactive online directory of organisations that help those seeking asylum or refugee, and volunteering opportunities within them. Directory has built in Map and Translation options.
- Refugee Aid App: mobile app shows those seeking asylum/refuge and volunteers services closest to them on a map.
- Riseup: Riseup is a volunteer-run collective providing secure email account, email list, VPN, online chat, and other online services.
- Aktivix: non-profit secure email, newsletter and VPN provider for communities of resistance.
- Crabgrass: A secure group decision, discussion and management tool provided by Riseup.
- Signal: Android, Iphone and desktop App for end-to-end encrypted messages, calls and videos, with disappearing message time settings.
- Pirate Pad: online collaborative document editor, allows authors to simultaneously edit a text document, and to see participants’ edits in real-time.
- Etherpad: is a web application that allows for real-time group collaboration of text documents. Riseup does not store IP addresses, and pads are automatically destroyed after 30 days of inactivity.
- ProtonMail: email service with built-in end-to-end encryption.
- Guide to setting up PGP Email encryption for existing email providers by Life Hacker
- Leeds Green and Black Cross: Email via: email@example.com if you’ve witnessed arrests or police misconduct at a protest, or for advice on your rights if attending or planning an action.
- Harrison Bundey: Leeds-based Criminal Solicitors that will defend you if arrested / charged by the police.
- Green and Black Cross Guides: Legal Observing, Arrestee Support, Being Arrested, Know Your Rights
- Netpol (The Network for Police Monitoring) Guides on Policing and Law for Anti-Frackers : including resisting surveillance and understanding laws and offences
- Manuel Bravo is a charitable organisation based in Leeds that aims to help asylum seekers who are unable to find adequate legal representation.
- Leeds No Borders provide a list of good immigration solicitors in Leeds
- Everyday Feminism: is an intersectional feminist online magazine that features articles on gender, race, religion, sex, health, and class.
- Open Democracy: Independent global media platform that seeks to challenge power and encourage democratic debate across the world.
- Red Pepper: Independent magazine of the green and radical left.
- Gal-Dem online magazine written by women of colour.
- STRIKE! Magazine: is a platform for those involved in grassroots resistance, anti-oppression politics, and the philosophies and creative expressions surrounding these movements.
- New Internationalist: leading independent publisher of magazines and books on politics, global justice and equality.
- Novara Media: an independent media organisation addressing the issues – from a crisis of capitalism to racism and climate change – that are set to define the 21st century.
- STIR Magazine: a quarterly print magazine for the new economy.
- Ceasefire Magazine: independent political and cultural quarterly publication providing thought-provoking discussion and analysis on politics, art and activism.
- Real Media: a cooperative of journalists dedicated to public interest journalism and challenging mass media distortion.
- Jacobin: a left wing magazine offering socialist perspectives on politics, economics, and culture.
- Films For Action: A catalogue of videos and articles covering how to make a more just and sustainable word.